2017-18 Ministry Plan
The mission of our outreach ministry is to invite, welcome, and introduce people to Broadway by connecting them to the life of the congregation. In 2014, we recognized that almost every person who visits Broadway looking for a church home visits our website first, and spent the majority of the year launching a new website. We also brought a uniform look to our communications with a new logo and tagline. These efforts to communicate effectively continued in 2015, as we sought to enhance our presence online and through social media.
Our primary focus for 2015 and 2016, however, was to find more effective ways to welcome and follow-up with guests who find their way to our church, including a more stream-lined process for reaching out to guests after their first visit, as well as training members to engage with guests around them in hospitable and meaningful ways.
The 2017-18 Outreach Ministry Plan builds upon the 2015 goals, continuing efforts to reach out to guests, providing a high touch to each person who comes through our doors and furthering Broadway's reputation for sharing love and care to the community outside the church, while continuing to develop a high level communications platform.
Enrich new guest’s experience at Broadway by improving accessibility of information, hospitality, and follow-up after first visit through the following methods:
- Intentionally engaging Sunday School teachers and church members to greet guests who come to help them find their way around and find a Sunday School class that fits their needs.
- Update - Sunday School Teacher meeting hosted on September 9, 2017 with specific tools presented for welcoming guests and inviting them to attend SS classes.
- Member profiles included in the Friendship Folders for guests to get to know more about the people of Broadway.
- Enlisting a college student to create "mall directory" style maps to display around the church to make the building more accessible.
- Minute for Ministries to take place in worship at least three out of every four Sundays to help connect people with the ministries of the church.
- Update - In August 2017, only one Sunday did not feature a Minute for Ministry.
- Update - In September 2017, Minute for Ministries took place each Sunday, and were played by video during Wednesday Night Dinner
- Update - In October and November 2017, Minute for Ministries took place each Sunday
- Update - In March and April 2018, Minute for Ministries scheduled for every Sunday, except Palm Sunday and Easter
- Create and implement plan for strategic follow-up after events to record information about how guests found out about the church/event.
- Make name-tags for ministers and deacons to wear in church and at outside events to make them easily recognizable as leaders of the church.
Increase promotion and education of events hosted by Broadway.
- Host at least one ad on local NPR stations.
- Create timeline for banners and other signage in the church lawn.
- Send strategic mailings to the community for upcoming events, using different mail routes each time. Events include, but are not limited to:
- Service in September
- Trunk or Treat
- Youth Trivia Night
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Summer Playdates
Host Family Dinner Fellowships to engage new members and members who have not plugged in for a while.
- Update - In August 2017, event hosts were confirmed and sent list of guests to invite. Fellowships are in the works for September/October 2017.
- Update - In September 2017, hosts began inviting guests, and the dinners are underway in October 2017.
Participation in St. Matthews Chamber of Commerce annual events at Brown Park, which involve many community families: Trick or Treat at Brown Park and Light Up Brown Park.
- Update: In October 2017, the Outreach Committee participated in Trick or Treat at Brown Park by passing out candy to children.
- Update: The Outreach Committee is working on partnering with one of our ministry partners to participate in the St. Matthews Street Festival in August
Purchase Canopy Tent with church logo for use at outside events.
- Update: In April 2018, Outreach Committee to purchase two canopy tents for the Community-Wide Block party, with plans to screen print logo at later date.
Enhance usability and functionality of communication tools.
- Revise avenues of communications, including development of Quarterly magazine style newsletter to highlight stories from the church.
- Update - In August 2017, logos were developed for Women on Mission and LifeTimers to coordinate with the Broadway brand, and help create a more cohesive "look and feel" for all church materials.