2017-18 Ministry Plan
The mission of our family ministry is to partner with families in raising children to love Jesus and embrace the stories of our faith. As a church, we seek to provide a safe space for parents and children to ask questions and grow as Christians and families.
In 2015, we began the year with a visioning session for parents and family ministry leaders to determine how we would like to see children and families grow and develop from the time children are born until they move into the youth group.
In 2016, we put this vision to action through new curriculum, including revamping the children's worship time to be more age appropriate. 2017 will be marked by evaluation and continued implementation of the vision set in place over the previous years, as well as more significant fellowship and spiritual development opportunities for the families with young children. The Children and Family ministry will also seek to incorporate the priorities from the church's overall mission and yearly theme of Prayer and Blessing.
I. Worship/Spiritual Formation:
- Host Children's Sabbath during worship in October to give children opportunity to lead in worship.
- Have at least one ministry leader attend Godly Play training to begin to re-incorporate Godly Play into Children's Worship time.
- Host Discipleship Class for 3rd through 5th graders in the spring to help the children learn how to grow closer to Jesus and live a more Christian lifestyle as they begin to make their own choices.
- Take a group of at least five 3rd-5th graders to PASSPORTkids! summer camp to help the children become closer to God and other children their age.
- Continue implementation of Shine Curriculum in Sunday School, including Storybook Bibles for every family to use to further their spiritual development each week. Encourage Children to incorporate “wondering” into their Bible reading, increasing their connection to the Biblical text.
- Equip teachers and other ministry leaders with resources to teach effectively, providing age-appropriate teaching tools, including quarterly Sunday School teacher meetings.
- Update - First Sunday School teacher meeting held in August 2017, with emphasis on reaching out to children/parents
- Host weekly Children’s Choir: Goals and updates for Children's Choir can be found in the music and worship ministry plan.
- Host at least four family socials at the church or other venues for community building amongst families and children.
- Host indoor/outdoor Fall Festival in the Family Life Center in October as an intergenerational event open to the community, with a goal of at least 30 children from outside the church in attendance.
- Host Easter Egg Hunt in April, with a goal of at least 20 children attending who are not regular members of Broadway.
- Host substantial summer programing with an emphasis on learning Bible stories.
- Host at least three parent's day/night outs at least three hours in length that would be open to the community.
- Convene quarterly hands-on mission projects for children and families, each planned and led by a different family, with goal of at least five families in participation at each.
- Update - At least 9 families with children participated in Service in September on September 10, 2017. In total, these families participated in projects that benefited more than 5 of our mission partners.
- Associate Pastor to be present in local schools at least twice per month, having lunch with children from church or assisting in classrooms.
- Connect with other cultures through Missions class by inviting speakers from other countries or Skyping with missionaries in other countries at least once a semester.
- Provide tangible resources at least once a quarter for parents to continue spiritual education at home.