At this stage the search committee has evaluated every resume we have received and are in the process of conducting several phone interviews. Our plan is to move to a smaller number of in-person interviews promptly with a goal of recommending a candidate to the church later this summer or as early as possible in the fall. We will hold all resumes received at this point in case our current process ends without calling someone to serve at Broadway. If we restart our process of evaluating our pool of resumes, we will notify anyone who is under consideration.
Broadway is pursuing two tracks as we search for a new Minister to Children and Families. We are open to either option and the final decision will be determined by the qualifications and abilities of the applicant(s).
Track one: Full-Time Minister to Children and Families
This will included benefits and consideration of relocation expenses. Note, however, that approximately 25% of this minister's time would be devoted to Broadway's outreach ministry to all ages.
Track two: 3/4-Time Minister to Children and Families, along with a 1/4-time Outreach Coordinator. Neither of these positions would include benefits or relocation expenses.
When applying, please indicate which position your are seeking, or if you are open to both options.
If you would like to submit your information please send an email to email@example.com.
Broadway Baptist Church, Louisville, KY
Role Description – Minister to Children and Families
(Revised April 18, 2014)
Primary Functions: Lead age-appropriate Christian programs, activities, and education (except children’s choirs) for children from birth through fifth grade; engage families in the ministries of the church; partner with parents or guardians in their spiritual formation and the spiritual formation of their children.
Relationships: Supervised by the Pastor and works closely with the children’s committee and ministerial and auxiliary staff; supervises temp or part-time church employees who work with children.
Qualifications: Experience with children in an early childhood or elementary environment and active involvement in congregational ministries as a volunteer or minister is required; a preferred candidate is pursuing or has obtained an appropriate seminary or divinity school degree; prior to employment, a credit check and criminal background check is required.
- Evaluates programming and makes recommendations for future success
- Leads children’s programs for worship and Sunday school and planned special events (e.g., VBS, PASSPORTkids!, Creative Arts Camp, Preschool Playdates), establishing relationships with children that affirm their sense of worth and value within the larger congregation
- Cultivates personal relationships with the families of Broadway’s children, in order to better minister to children and to facilitate the spiritual formation of the entire family
- Participates in worship and provides age-appropriate materials to assist children attending worship
- Works with others to enlist and nurture lay leadership for children’s programs
- Facilitates communication between families and the church office
- Identifies and facilitates pastoral response to children in the congregation whose families are in crisis
- Oversees Broadway’s volunteers in the Upward league in partnership with St. Matthews Baptist Church
- Works with the Associate Pastor of Spiritual Formation and Discipleship to engage families in spiritual formation
- Liaison to the Children’s Committee
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Pastor
Additional Responsibilities: Outreach
Responsible for the coordination of the church’s outreach ministry to all ages. Includes the communication of the church’s message to those unfamiliar with Broadway, but special focus will be upon assigning and organizing follow-up with those who have been guests at Broadway. It is expected that approximately 25% of weekly hours will be dedicated to this task. Includes being liaison to the Outreach Committee, and also overseeing marriage ministry. (Overseeing the marriage ministry is a coordinating function and does not require the conducting of weddings.)